Sunday, August 14, 2016

A Month Through Instagram: July 2016


    I need to start off by saying the title is a little misleading. This is actually a month and about ten days, as told through Instagram. I'm sorry for the deception, I hope you can find a place in your heart to forgive me. "A Month Through Instagram" just flows off the tongue much nicer than "A Month and Ten Days Through Instagram".
    But in all seriousness, July (and those last ten days of June) has been the busiest month of my life. Ever since I graduated high school(!!!!!) on July 20th, I've been nonstop. While I loved being on the go and seeing so many different things, being at home these past two has been a welcomed change. As a result of being on the go this past month, I've had little time to dedicate to this blog; however, there's always time to post on Instagram (and if you don't follow me on Instagram, you should and you can do that here)! This post is basically going to be a big summary of what I've been up to this past month and help provide some background for upcoming posts. So if that's something you'd be interested in, keep reading!

Graduation
    As I mentioned before, the start of all this crazy happened on July 20th, 2016 when I graduated high school! As exciting as that is for me, it's probably the dullest thing to read about compared to all the other things I was up to; so we're just going to leave it at that.

Walt Disney World
    Two days after graduation I hopped on a plane headed to Orlando, Florida. Three of my friends and I were spending four and a half days at "The Most Magical Place on Earth", Walt Disney World. Despite the fact that we just graduated high school we are all five year olds at heart, and thus Disney was the only appropriate place to celebrate! I actually vlogged our time there so that my friends and I could better remember the experience. I'll be posting those vlogs on Youtube and connecting them to the blog, accompanied by photos from each day; so make sure you keep an eye out for those because they will be coming out soon.

California
    After landing back in New Jersey I had a day to do laundry and pack my suitcase for California! It was a trip I took with my family; it started in San Diego and then moved up the state as we drove to Newport Beach, Disneyland, and then onto Lake Tahoe. While this was a normal family vacation, it was made extra special because we went with our cousins who live in New York; even though we see them often, it was nice to go on vacation together. I made sure to take lots of photos on the trip so you can expect a TailoredTravels coming soon.

Maine
    After getting home to New Jersey from California, I had a day to pack my bag for another trip. But this trip wasn’t a vacation. This was a nine day mission trip up to Pemaquid, Maine. The trip was organized by a local church but was comprised of all high school kids. Throughout the work week we repaired and improved homes for the people in the community. As weird as this may sound, going on this trip was one of the main (ah unintentional pun!) highlights of my summer. Being up in Maine and away from almost everything connected to “normal life” makes it a great time to reflect, help others, immerse myself in a completely different experience, and of course have some fun with my friends.

Down the Shore
    After workcamp I had the rest of the summer to enjoy myself and make up plans as I went along. Well, one of those plans formed as I was on the bus ride back from Maine. I was lucky enough to be invited by friend, Alyssa, to come down the shore and stay at her house! The plan was for myself and two of our friends to drive down and spend two nights there. While we were there we had three perfect, beach worthy days, which was so relaxing after working in Maine.

Upper West Side
    I was contemplating even putting this last activity in, but it was an adventure that I took in July so I decided it made the cut. Despite the fact that I only live an hour from Manhattan, I never actually get to make it in very often. So when my friend, Lizzy, invited a group of us to go in and hang out for the day, I didn’t hesitate to say yes! We spent the day exploring the Upper West Side and visiting the American Museum of Natural History. While I love that museum and going seemed like a good idea in theory, the fact that it was downpouring most of the day and that it was the weekend led to insane crowds; however, there was one amazing highlight to the day. That highlight was this ice cream sandwich from Melt Bakery (I know that seems kind of pathetic but this was a really good ice cream sandwich), it had red velvet cake and cream cheese ice cream! Honestly how can it get better than that? The main location for Melt Bakery is 132 Orchard St., on the Lower East Side, but there was an ice cream festival going on at the Grand Bazaar NYC, located two blocks away from the museum.

    Well if you got this far then good for you because this post turned out to be a lot longer than I expected. I guess I just had a lot to say about the amazing month that was July. Hopefully you enjoyed and if you want to stay up to date on all my adventures make sure to follow me on Instagram!